Shards of Vael Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

XP System - Discussion

+2
6 posters

Go down

XP System - Discussion Empty XP System - Discussion

Post by Rokene Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:45 pm

Generally:
We should set XP amounts standards based off creature level. 50xp per kill for creatures the same level and dropping by 10 xp each level difference between character or party average.

Curve:
I think we just need a curve that flattens as more monsters are killed at the very least. Full xp to 1 xp per kill as the player kills more and more.

Ticks:
RP ticks I'm not sure if we should implement and if we should how.
Rokene
Rokene
Scripting Department
Scripting Department

Back to top Go down

XP System - Discussion Empty Re: XP System - Discussion

Post by Karma Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:46 pm

I agree for the general xp amount.

As for a curve maybe decreasing 1xp every 4-5 kills down to one.

I really like the idea of an rp ticker. thugth the amount and how often we should further discuss.
Mapping Departmant
Mapping Departmant

https://genesisindev.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aku&Bintang Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:26 am

Well, as I said earlier on skype, I do like Daleland's rp tick. It follows the amount of text you write as well as consistency of what you write...I think. I'm not a scripter so I dunno how it works, though someone who would actually understand these things could go take a look? Surprised

I've a question...will we still be getting 1 exp per monster kill instead of zero, even if our level far exceeds the monster's level?
Aku&Bintang
Aku&Bintang
Writer
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Karma Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:14 am

I'm hoping so, the curves shouldn't go to 0.
Mapping Departmant
Mapping Departmant

https://genesisindev.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rokene Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:27 pm

Yes full xp to 1.
Rokene
Rokene
Scripting Department
Scripting Department

Back to top Go down

Post by Bishop Cornelius Thu May 19, 2011 9:43 am

I think a 'curve by number of kills in a row in a short time' while it would accomplish keeping people from powerlvling, they overtly penalize the traditional PnP Gamers schedule (logging in a couple of hours a day), while not affective the hardcore MMORPG-stype gamer schedule too much, (being logged in 24/7),

I think a real-timed lvl cap (like Sundren's) would better serve our purposes better, for those of you who don't know anything about such a system, it keeps people from powerlvling based on how quickly they gain lvls, not how quickly they gain xp...

Or we just have a manual dm'led system:

RP requirements for lvl'ing, like soft caps, ... only epic rp'ers can get to epic lvls... etc!
Bishop Cornelius
Bishop Cornelius
Writer
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rokene Sat May 21, 2011 7:43 pm

Yes I am still thinking ... but currently I'm kind of leaning towards HIGH XP, HIGH RISK, with a curve though.
Rokene
Rokene
Scripting Department
Scripting Department

Back to top Go down

Post by Bishop Cornelius Sat May 21, 2011 8:28 pm

Under that paradigm, I prefer: low xp, reasonable risk, lvl soft-caps, for the reasons stated above...

I certainly don't want us to have put all this time and effort into this pw to players get frustrated and leave, etc,
Bishop Cornelius
Bishop Cornelius
Writer
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rokene Sat May 21, 2011 8:39 pm

Rokene wrote:Yes I am still thinking ... but currently I'm kind of leaning towards HIGH XP, HIGH RISK, with a curve though.

Well the premise of this suggestion is for less grinding thus high xp but high risk, greater penalties and xp curve to counter higher xp. If people are careful they might not die really and in a party less so.
Rokene
Rokene
Scripting Department
Scripting Department

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonflower Elf Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:40 pm

The lowest levels are always a frustrating bit in the game.
I'd suggest to make the first few levels (up to 3-4 total, maybe) be fairly easy to get on your own, simply because they're so horribly sensitive to bad rolls and critical hits and are frankly not all that fun if you're left with combat as your only option to get it. Even in a group it's hard to guard yourself against the inherent swinginess of the low-level d20 system unless you make the monsters real weird (low damage and attack), but you're still very vulnerable to the fluke of the dice.
Speaking of RP as a source of experience is all well and good, but activity hours makes it inconvenient at times. It's better to have a lesser alternative always available, than having no options and ending up logging off having nothing to do.

[Tangent ahead]
That said I'm all for encouraging players to group up after a certain point.
Making monsters individually and arbitrarily powerful not only breaks verisimilitude somewhat, and it exacerbates the problem of luck, so I'd rather suggest that monsters start teaming up after a certain level (maybe as soon as 5ish), so that for example scouting and raiding parties of hostile humanoids, feral animal packs, bandit bands and so forth become the norm, simply because that's the way creatures are going to survive in a world where big, nasty monsters also make a living and occasionally have to be fended off by individually weaker but more numerous species.
[/End tangent]

Moonflower Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandruff Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:14 pm

I too like having lowish xp amounts rather than high. having high xp but with risks would be just asking people to powergame their face off because they'd have an easier time due to having powerbuilt and thus go up levels hell faster than everyone else leaving everyone else in the dust, I'd rather an epic rper gets up into epic first than the powergamer/grinder.
but yes should be made easy to get up to level 3 or so as yes while level 1-3 can be hilarious for a while, getting beaten up by rats really just gets annoying after a while
Gandruff
Gandruff
Mapper
Mapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rokene Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:20 pm

Oh we have such a good idea tho. To remove the XP bar and remove how much xp you're getting. So people have no idea how much xp their getting and how much till next level. Very Happy But when you receive xp it'll just say "earned xp."

But I see what you're saying if it isn't the way I suggested then it will probably be the traditional low xp grinding for levels.
Rokene
Rokene
Scripting Department
Scripting Department

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandruff Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:47 pm

err really not sure about just saying "you have xp but we arent going to tell you how much or how much you are going to need" can see that as just being somewhat aggravating. people like to be able to see their own progress, how far they'v come, how far they have left. not knowing will still not stop people powerlevelling by grinding. the system would do more to off put those who dont powergrind than those who do.
Gandruff
Gandruff
Mapper
Mapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down